The Business Challenge
One of South Africa’s largest financial services groups was frustrated by a lack of good management information from their IT Service Management function. There was a lack of structure, no consolidated approach or clear reporting framework.
There was also a lack of alignment of metrics to KPIs to objectives and goals, thus reflecting a deficit of Information rather than abundance of knowledge. They required the development of IT Service Management process metrics and reports in line with industry best practices and standards.
Develop a reporting model based on best practice ITSM process metrics, with a view to developing reports which would:
- Reflect the customer’s experience
- Measure the effectiveness
(capability and performance) of the processes
- Produce relevant trending information across the various processes
- Add significant value to owners and managers for decision making purposes
- Agree framework and model
- Interviews with relevant stakeholders
- Analyse, Extrapolate & Consolidate data
- Compare Information to Best practice models
- Produce Graphs in Dashboards
We presented graphs and charts in a dashboard for the client to easily see if they are meeting strategic and operational objectives. We provided a model and framework that client could plug and play into various tools.
Client data was linked to metrics, which were mapped to objectives to show performance against goals. The client’s data was converted into meaningful information for all relevant stakeholders to make better informed decisions faster.
The Business Challenge
- Disparate sources of information, with time consuming manual collation of data to produce reports.
- No consolidated view of tourism information to show trends and indicate fluctuation of the tourist market.
- Difficult for WESGRO to provide good quality information to clients to make decisions to influence and grow tourism in the Western Cape.
To provide structured, categorised tourist information (demographics, behaviours, spend, preferred locations) in user-friendly formats that can be used in targeted marketing campaigns to attract tourists to the Western Cape.
The intelligence needs of WESGRO’s Research Unit and Corporate Services (i.e. Finance, IT and HR) as well as Tourism, Trade, Investment, Economic, Corp Services and Air Access.
- Workshops to gather information.
- Application of the ‘design first’ methodology – data Analytics approach.
- Fast-tracked process following a Kimball methodology (ease of end user accessibility).
- Rapid Prototype development
- Integration of data from disparate sources into subject areas organized by commonly understood business terms and validated for accuracy to ensure that the business can rely on it to make decisions
- Design of a central repository of information incorporating information from internal and external systems
- Implementation of Microsoft Power BI – with reports, portals, analytical and visualization tools that deliver user-friendly self-service charts and graphs.
- Quick time to market with a 2 month project.
- Rapid prototypes to quickly establish and confirm solution benefits.
- Upskilled, self-sufficient resources able to update and maintain the databases and develop dashboards.
- Consolidated, visually represented information to give WESGRO greater understanding of tourism in the Western Cape to use in the growth of the tourist industry.