The enterprise architecture competency within Liberty is tasked with standardising the architecture practices for the organisation. Liberty is using iServer as the tool for modelling the architectural domains, namely business, information systems, integration and infrastructure domains.
The architecture standardisation effort has not yet concluded with the following items remaining unresolved:
- All stakeholders have not yet reached consensus to the metamodel
- Governance surrounding the architecture practices has not been formalised
Liberty’s architecture competency therefore required:
- The arbitration between stakeholders across architectural domains in order to finalise the metamodel that will service the organisation’s needs
- The development of a governance strategy for the architecture practices
- The development of an adoption strategy that incorporates the architectural practice as well as iServer as a tool
Digiterra was engaged in a project towards the latter part of 2017 and delivered the following objectives:
- Metamodel Requirements Discovery
- Metamodel Future State Design
- Designing iServer Templates
- Develop a reference model
- Discover EA Practice Requirements
- Design Future State EA Practice
IT Service Management Improvement
AdvTech IT had a requirement to optimise their IT Service Management processes and operations, with a view to improving IT service proficiency and delivery to ultimately ensure consistent quality and to meet ICT and Business Goals.
The project focussed on improvements of specific IT Service Management processes (based on current challenges). The project consisted of workshops with various key stakeholders to understand existing proficiency, identify gaps and plan for improvements.
Our IT Service Management consultants delivered a strategy, overall process performance dashboard and detailed process flows enabled AdvTech to streamline operations and manage process outcomes and performance.
Total Coal – Blueprint – Enterprise Architecture
Total Coal acquired Digiterra’s consulting services to undertake an Enterprise Architecture Blueprint exercise for various divisions within the organisation, including: Finance, HR, IT, Legal, Logistics and Marketing, Rehabilitation, Safety, Supply Chain, Technical Services, Projects and planning and Overall mining operations.
Total Coal needed to understand the full extent and impact of implementing a central Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
Phase 1 was analysis of the “As Is” Operational aspects of the division’s value chain, inclusive of high level processes, applications in use and technology platforms
The delivered objectives included:
- A detailed model of each division’s processes aligned to the company’s strategy.
- Identification and model of the application components mapped against the high level processes
- Identification and documentation of infrastructure components mapped to the application component
- Gap Analysis report highlighting the gaps in the current enterprise architecture in relation to core enterprise processes and enterprise support services.
- A road map for addressing gaps
The completed Blueprint metamodel gave Total Coal an in-depth understanding of their operational processes and underlying application and infrastructure components to prepare for and mitigate the risks of implementing a central Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
In Phase 2, Digiterra provided Total Coal with a comprehensive RFI to enable them to select the best technology vendor and solution to meet their strategic and operations objectives. During this engagement, Digiterra prepared an evaluation pack (which included functional and non-functional requirements) and facilitated in the vendor selection process.
AdvTech (Pty) Ltd needed to optimise the management of its debtor’s book. The pre-legal division is pivotally involved in this process positioned as a conduit between the business entities that interface with the debtor, the finance department and any downstream legal entities responsible for collection or purchase of the debtor’s book.
Digiterra’s team of Business Analysts, making use of our echelon blueprint provided a current state view of the strategy, processes, application and organisational role dimensions of the pre-legal division. This view enabled our team to suggest changes to the configuration of elements within these dimensions.
The team defined a future state to achieve a more timeous and successful delivery of outcomes and to find a solution to fit the design. The solution highlighted and compared four possibilities and catered for bespoke options as well as off-the-shelf packages.
AdvTech were able to make an informed decision to develop or purchase a solution based on the detailed and comprehensive design provided by Digiterra.