In the first quarter of 2014, the Emerging Markets Payments Group (EMP) set out to improve and document selected Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) processes and procedures. As a result of rapid growth the company needed to create transparency and clarity with respect to roles and responsibilities as well as process steps and activities.
Digiterra Consulting recommended its IT Service Management process improvement approach. This required an initial assessment of the core Change Management process, after which a prioritised list of action items would be addressed to close any gaps.
Assessment and Action Plan
IT Change Management is the core controlling process for any organisation that needs to ensure changes are recorded, properly assessed and planned as well as thoroughly tested before risking business critical operations. The assessment compared existing EMP capability and maturity aspects against international IT Infrastructure management best practice guidelines (ITIL V3) and produced results for all governance, people, process, technology and quality assurance aspects of Change Management at EMP.
An action plan to address these items was drawn up and an EMP improvement team assigned to address these, together with an ITSM Consultant from Digiterra.
- Timely (Forward) Planning and Scheduling
- Risk Assessment as well as Impact and Urgency
- Stakeholder approval before work commences
- Tracking of Releases through every phase
- Final Authorisation before implementation time (Release readiness)
- Post implementation Reviews – reporting of failed changes and the reasons for these
- Measurement and Analysis against KPIs
- Reporting and Communication
- Audit as well as Quality control
- Continual Improvement